‘It wasn’t her, but me’ — Ignorance, denial or approval of genocide in Srebrenica?

On July 10, 2015, a commemoration ceremony was held in Potocari, a small village in eastern Bosnia, to mark the twentieth anniversary of the genocide in Srebrenica. Citizens also gathered in Belgrade to observe the anniversary, lighting candles in Pionirski Park in honor of those killed. The impromptu event in the Serbian capital took place despite the forced cancellation of a previously announced gathering, which had been given the title ‘Sedam hiljada,’ (‘Seven thousand’ — the approximate number of Srebrenica victims who have been identified to date). Seven months later, the director of the Youth Initiative for Human Rights (YIHR) in Belgrade, Anita Mitic, finds herself facing criminal charges for a violation of the Law on Public Gatherings due to her role in the commemoration.

These charges have caused wide ranging controversy. First there is a question on the law itself. The Law on Public Gatherings, passed in 2009, was declared unconstitutional in April 2015 and found itself in a legal vacuum until October 2015. The updated version for 2016 seems more draconian than ever.

Then there was the content of the letter sent to Mitic, outlining the criminal charges against her, which she has made public. In it, the word genocide was put in quotation marks, something the YIHR have labelled as scandalous, and has raised more questions about the Serbian state’s relationship with its history.

“The prime minister shouldn’t go to Srebrenica for a commemoration, but [then] ban a commemorative gathering in Belgrade,” Mitic told K2.0. “Facing the past must begin in Belgrade. Politicians need to face their responsibilities and secure a space in Serbia dedicated to speaking about Srebrenica, and other crimes committed in the name of Serbia.”

As well as the peaceful gathering of a few non-governmental organizations and citizens, July 10 also saw right-wing organizations demonstrating. The demonstration featured salutes to the accused perpetrators of the genocide Ratko Mladic and Radovan Karadzic, Chetnik chants being sung and a banner displaying the message “Serbs are victims of genocide. Stop lying about Srebrenica.” Anita Mitic is the only person who has been charged for activities relating to public gatherings on July 10.

“The Serbian Radical Party, headed by Vojislav Seselj, and the Srpski sabor Zavetnici (Serbian patriotic movement) were trying to attack us during the commemoration,” said Mitic. “They threw bottles at us, they threatened us, insulted us, etc. Charges weren’t brought against any of them for their violent behavior, which I think says a lot about their relationship with the state.”

Anita Mitic was one of many people who invited friends on Facebook to join the commemoration on July 10. On the basis of inviting people on social networks, Mitic was characterized as the organizer of a public gathering which was not reported to the Ministry of Internal Affairs, and charged.

Mitic gave K2.0 her reaction to this decision: “This gathering was a reaction to the ban. If the police had not banned Sedam hiljada, we would have had no reason to gather without reporting it to the authorities. The charges were brought against me, because I was seen as the ‘organizer’ of the event. I was also on record, as I gave a routine statement to the police after the gathering. However, it is important to point out that the police identified me as the organizer only because I invited people from my personal Facebook profile. Of course, many people did the same, but only I received criminal charges.”

On the day Mitic’s hearing took place, February 3, 2016, prominent NGO representatives and citizens gathered in front of the Constitutional Court in Belgrade in a sign of solidarity with Mitic. Some carried a banner reading “It wasn’t her, but me.” The message was clear; Mitic was at the hearing as a representative of all citizens who, on the night of July 10, felt the need to express sorrow for the victims from 1995.

The Constitutional Court’s police prevented citizens and the media from attending the hearing, which was then postponed in order for the judges to become better acquainted with the Constitutional Court’s previous decision on annulling the Law on Public Gatherings. So far, the case remains unresolved, and a new hearing has not been scheduled.

Legal ambiguity

The criminal charges raised against Anita Mitic have opened up issues relating to the adoption of the new Law on Public Gatherings, which passed on January 26, 2016. In a draft law published in December 2015, Article 13 stated that a ‘spontaneous gathering’ is permitted, and was defined as a “peaceful gathering, without any organizers, as a direct reaction to a specific event, after the event, which is conducted in an open or a closed space, in order to express opinions and attitudes regarding the event.”

On January 13, the YIHR had released proposals for amendments to the draft law, and requested a precise definition of the terms ‘spontaneous gathering’ and ‘organizing a counter-gathering’ as a legitimate democratic means. Representatives from the YIHR also drew attention to the fact that a spontaneous gathering cannot take place without organizers, or inviting people to a gathering, since the meaning of the gathering would then be lost.

K2.0 spoke to the director of the Institute for European Affairs (IEA) NGO, Naim Leo Besiri, on the new Law on Public Gatherings. Besiri outlined several reasons that the new law is making public gathering ever trickier, including high fines for organizers, the poor definition of ‘spontaneous’ gatherings, and a tighter limit on the places at which a gathering can take place. Besiri drew particular attention to the enormous fines which are somewhere between 70 and 150 thousand RSD (around 570 - 1,220 euros). In a country where 50 percent of young people are unemployed, and the average salary is 300 euros, this law can only discourage any form of citizens’ gathering.

“When you take a look at the law, you can see that it has seven more Articles than the previous law, but is somehow less precise,” said Besiri. “However, the new Law is precise when it comes to fines. They are many times larger in comparison to the previous law. Serbia has been lacking the courage to organize public events for a long time. Now, courtesy of the new law, organizers will also need deep pockets, good lawyers, great legal advisers and loud megaphones in order for someone to be able to hear them.”

Ignorance, denial or approval of genocide in Srebrenica?

Anita Mitic was born in 1990; the beginning of the decade that saw a boom of nationalism in Serbia and the entire former Yugoslavia flare up. This is the generation that grew up with the war in Bosnia, the war in Kosovo, turbo folk, criminals, sanctions, and power cuts.

However, as the director of YIHR she belongs to a part of the younger generation in Serbia that is loudly speaking out about war crimes. She is ready to influence other young people in order to create a new, conscious generation determined not to repeat the past.

On the basis of her years of activism and work in the civic sector, Mitic believes that the younger generation’s proclivity towards right wing movements and nationalism is not solely down to the circumstances of the decade that shaped them, they are assisted by the current politics of the Serbian state.

“Unfortunately, the youth in Serbia are primarily misinformed, and disinterested,” said Mitic. “It is sad to see the majority of young people in Serbia turning towards right-wing and nationalist organizations. Their values are completely distorted. Somebody might say that this is happening because of the surroundings in which they grew up, but I don’t think this is right, it is just an excuse. I was born in 1990 and grew up in the same surroundings, and today I fight for human rights and the truth about the war. I think that young people in Serbia are intentionally misused, because such people suit the political elite perfectly. Disregarding the facts that young people today are more conservative than their parents and hate their neighbors will lead us to a point where we will miss out on the chance to make good grown-ups, good adults.”

Naim Leo Besiri, as president of the IEA, has been actively working on the reconciliation process among the younger generations from Serbia, Kosovo, Montenegro, and Bosnia and Herzegovina. Besiri identified schooling as the biggest problem, suggesting that school textbooks do not offer plurality of information or ideas on regional reconciliation.

“School textbooks are very questionable, above all because of what is taught in history classes, and the way in which the teaching is taking place in schools and colleges when they deal with the topic of reconciliation and war crimes,” he said. “The politicization and relativization of events, contradictory statements and acts from politicians, and poor media ethics are conducive to maintaining social confusion from which young people are not immune. When you add on top of all this, the non-existence of responsibility and personal integrity, you then get a social climate in which every difference and different opinion is being condemned, and ethnic and religious hatred are being supported, while war crimes are also given support.”

Mitic also views the dominant political discourse when it comes to war criminals as damaging to future generations. “Politicians aren’t ready to accept responsibility and face the past, so why would we expect such a thing from our young people. Who should they follow? Who should their role model be? The cowardice of our politicians is the worst possible influence on our young people.”

In the end, there is still a small number of those, like Mitic, who have decided to critically observe the past, as well as the current political situation, and to engage themselves with society accordingly. If it were not for these defenders of human rights and justice, there would hardly be any democratic advances in Serbian society.

“As for myself,” concluded Mitic, “I will fight for the truth by all means necessary, no matter the bans or the criminal charges, in this year and in every other year.”

This article was originally written in Serbian.

Liked this story? Check out these too:

KEEPING THE CANDLES ALIGHT

“HERE ARE THE FACES OF THOUSANDS WHO DIED IN SREBRENICA”

Back to Home



Write a comment

Shkruaje emrin Shkruaje email adresen

E-maili juaj nuk bëhet publik apo ndahet me të tjerët, fushat obligative janë të shënjuar.

1 comments

  • Sale | 11 months ago

    OVO JE PRAVA ISTINA O SREBRENICI: Ne dajte da vas lažu!...Prema mnogim svedočenjima, sudbina Srebrenice je odlučena još u aprilu 1993. godine, a to tvrde i sami muslimani/Bošnjaci, a dogovor je pao između tadašnjeg predsednika SAD, Bila Klintona i Alije Izetbegovića, predsednika Predsedništva BiH. Klinton je, kako je potvrdio i Izetbegović, obećao vojnu intervenciju ukoliko Srbi uđu u Srebrenicu i izvrše pokolj 5.000 muslimana… Izmišljeni genocid u Srebrenici bio je najveći trijumf pranja mozgova u pogledu ratova protiv Srba.Nesporno je da su se u Srebrenici dogodili zločini. Međutim, u Srebrenici nije bilo genocida, što je dokazao i Institut za ratnu dokumentaciju Holandije navodeći da u vrhu politike i vojske RS nije bilo planiranja zločina, a najveći broj stradalih bili su pripadnici 28. muslimanske divizije u toku proboja.Na 292. sednici predsedništva BiH održane 11. avgusta 1995. godine Alija je rekao sledeće:“Cifra ubijenih u Srebrenici je verovatno oko tri hiljade, ona se spominje od prvog dana” – rekao je Izetbegović kojeg je u svom izlaganju prekinuo Haris Silajdžić, rečima: “Ostatak bi mogao biti u logorima”….. U knjizi “Srebenica-agresija, otpor, izdaja, genocid”, štampanoj u Sarajevu, autor Nijaz Mašić navodi da je na ratištima oko Srebrenice prije 1995. godine poginulo oko 1.500 muslimanskih vojnika. I oni se vode kao “žrtve genocida“. Samir Avdić iz Bratunca, jedan od saboraca Nasera Orića, u svom pisanom svjedočanstvu o zločinima koje su počinili muslimani iz Srebrenice, tvrdi da se među imenima navodnih žrtava genocida nalaze i imena najmanje 800, a vjerovatno i svih 1.200, Srebreničana koji su ubijeni u međusobnim obračunima. To tvrdi i Ibran Mustafić, predsjednik ratne vlade Srebrenice. U izveštaju Glavnog štaba Armije BiH o padu Srebrenice koji je parlamentu Federacije BIH dostavljen 1996.godine navodi se da je u julu 1995.godine u borbama protiv VRS poginulo 2.300 muslimanskih boraca. I oni su na spisku „žrtava genocida“. Prostim sabiranjem dobije se 5.000 poginulih u borbama i međumuslimanskim obračunima.Kad se sa spiska „7.000 žrtava genocida“ skinu i Srebreničani koji su za četiri ratne godine umrli prirodnom smrću i oni koji su i danas živi i zdravi,kako tvrdi Mirsad Tokaća,a njih je oko 500, dođe se do nekoliko stotina, najviše 1.000 streljanih muslimanskih vojnika…. NIKO i NIKADA nije vršio istragu,kako i na koji način su muslimani izgubili živote u Srebrenici! DNK tehnologija je neupotrebljiva za određivanje uzroka i vremena smrti, što su ključne kategorije u kriminalističkoj istrazi ovakve vrste. DNK služi jedino za identifikaciju posmrtnih ostataka ili da omogući reasocijaciju delova tela iste osobe….Utvrđivanje uzroka smrti ekshumiranih tela se od ’96 nalazi u rukama dve organizacije: KOMISIJA ZA NESTALA LICA BiH(osnivać vlada ratnog predsednika Izetbegovića)i ICMP čijeg direktora postavlja Stejt department.Od početka pa do danas srpskim i međunarodnim nezavisnim forenzičkim stručnjacima nije omogućen pristup ispitivanju.Zbog čega?Čak ni optuženi nemaju pristup podacima.Svaka mogučnost nezavisne provere je isključena.Ovu činjenicu je potvrdio i svedok H.tužilaštva Ričard Rajt…. Izetbegovićeve i Orićeve snage snage iz Srebrenice stalno su upadale u srpska sela oko Srebrenice, Bratunca, Milića, Skelana i Zvornika, ubijajući sve što stignu, pljačkajući i paleći srpsku imovinu, a zarobljene su mučili, masakrirali, odsecali im glave i pokazivali u Srebrenici.Zarobljenom Anđelku Miladinoviću iz Ježestice, pred majkom Savkom, odsekli su glavu, zavezali je za vozilo i odvezli u Srebrenicu, o čemu postoje fotografije, a Slavku su nakon zlostavljanja takođe zaklali, sa još nekoliko civila.Zlikovac Kemal Mehmedović Kemo je više puta pronosio odsečene srpske glave po Srebrenici.Janko Savić, sveštenik iz Kravice, je bio strahovito mučen. Njegovo telo nađeno je bez ruku i nogu, sa izvađenim očima. Ubijen je i postavljen na zemlju, a ispred njega su postavljeni fildžani, kao da pije kafu. Zabeležen je i slučaj da su Nenada Rankića pekli na ražnju.Najmlađa žrtva, Vladimir Gajić, imao je samo četiri godine, a Novica Bogićević četrnaest, dok su među žrtvama i Vladimir Stojanović od 78, Risto Popović 73, a najstarija žrtva Mara Božić je imala 84 godine.Niko nije odgovarao za ova zlodela,jer imaju zaštitu međunarodne zajednice i tribunala u Hagu…. Ugledni Holandski Institut za ratna istraživanja ( NIOD ) 2002. godine podneo je holandskom parlamentu iscrpan izveštaj o Srebrenici gde se , između ostalog , nalazi i sledeća konstatacija: ” Muslimanski borci iz Srebrenice napali su ukupno 79 srpska mesta na područjima Srebrenice i Bratunca.Mnogi od tih napada po svojoj prirodi bili su krvavi. Na primer, žrtvama su prerezani grkljani, bili su napadani vilama ili zapaljivani. Procenjuje se da je u ovim napadima pobijeno ili usmrćeno između 1.000 i 1.200 Srba, dok je njih oko 3.000 ranjeno. ” …Da nije bilo zločina nad Srbima oko Srebrenice, danas ne bi bilo ni groblja u Potočarima.UBICE SRPSKE DECE,ŽENA I STARACA OKO SREBRENICE,NE MOGU NIKAKO BITI ŽRTVE,NEGO SAMO ZLOČINCI!… Tvrde da su svi eshumirani u Srebrenici redom muslimani!A gde su tu poginuli Srbi? Verovatno su po kostima zaključili ko je Hrvat, ko Srbin, a ko musliman?! Broj muslimana ubijenih u poslednjoj bici za Srebrenicu,- kako je rekao Đžonatan Ruper, bivši reporter BBC-a, meri se stotinama a ne hiljadama.„Štaviše, broj ubijenih muslimana verovatno nije veći od broja Srba koje je u Srebrenici i njenoj okolini u prethodnim godinama ubio Naser Orić sa svojim predatorskim bandama,”rekao je Ruper.”Srebrenica je bila brutalni čin osvete,ratni zločin, ali ne i genocid”,tvrdi bečki dnevnik “Standard/26. mart 2016/….”Brutalni osvetnički akt ne spada u kategoriju genocida,koji označava posebne namere uništavanja jedne nacionalne, etničke, rasne ili verske zajednice”,navodi ovaj list.Šejh Imran Husein, ugledni islamski teolog i filozof, naveo je u poruci muslimanima u čitavom regionu Balkana, da zločin koji se dogodio u Srebrenici nije genocid.. Spomen-kompleks u Potočarima ne predstavlja spomenik žrtvama Srebrenice, već svim muslimanima u BiH. Na centralnom spomeniku u Potočarima, crno na belo piše, da su tu sahranjeni poginuli i umrli muslimani iz najmanje 13 opština!… Zvanična priča o Srebrenici je „na aparatima za veštačko disanje“ i u nju više niko ne veruje – ni njeni promoteri u BiH, ni strani faktori koji tu priču iz sopstvene računice i dalje politički i medijski podržavaju.Srebrenica je neophodna da opravda bombardovanje osiromašenim uranijumom Srbije i srpskih položaja u BiH. Ali, i da sakrije činjenicu da je bosanski rat zapaljen više spolja nego iznutra.Srebrenica služi da se Srbi pred svetom prikažu kao narod zločinaca, koji je pokušao da ponovi Holokaust.

plus

More

plus

Share